Floor (Road) Sawing
Road sawing, also known as floor sawing or slab sawing, is a concrete cutting technique used to cut horizontal flat surfaces such as concrete floors, roadways, runways, bridge decks, along with any other flat surface where a road saw can access and manoeuvre. The machine consists of a diamond blade mounted to the side of the machine which is propelled whilst an operator walks behind the machine directing the blade during forward motion. Various passes at differing depth are preformed until the desired depth is achieved. Ever increasing blade sizes are used to achieve the increasing cut depth.
In line with other concrete cutting services, water is used to cool the blades and keep the supress dust. The concrete slurry waste generated by the road sawing is then collected for recycling via either a wet vacuum or a larger dedicated slurry containment unit, depending on the quantity of road sawing being performed.
We have a wide variety of road saws which not only facilitate differing cutting depth with a maximum cutting depth of 720mm deep, they are also driven by different power sources including diesel, petrol or 3 phase electric. The electric version is perfect for indoor, confined space areas where the need to avoid fumes is essential to facilitate safe operation.
Examples where electric road sawing represents the perfect cutting solution include facilities that produce or store food and drugs, occupied spaces such as high rise commercial or residential buildings, as well as any confined spaces where the operation is unsafe due to a lack of ventilation.
Common Applications for Slab Sawing:
- Removing a section of concrete or asphalt to facilitate replacement and/or repair of utilities without damaging or disturbing the surrounding surface areas
- Cutting reinforced concrete floors, control joints, and trenching
- Runways and bridge deck reconstruction and repairs
- Preparation for footing installations in new and existing structures
- Openings for staircases, elevators, and ductwork
- Decorative cut lines to create a clean and sharp line in the surface
- Cutting plumbing and electrical trenches in slabs
- Cutting and repairing of sidewalks, pavements, driveways, roads, and runways
- Residential and commercial improvements
- Repairing broken water pipe and sewer line encased in solid surfaces
- Cutting out old roadside kerbs and gutters
- Clean and prepare random cracks for repair
Major customers for this service are the Plumbing and Electrical trades, as most of their work is installing and/or repairing underground utilities, as well as civil delivery companies whom perform infrastructure supply and maintenance.